Franz Edmund Weirotter (aka Franz Edmund Weyrotter; Franz Edmund Weirauter; Franz Edmund Weyherolter) (1733–1771)
Five etchings (the lower print has the addition of aquatint) on laid paper, c1766 (published 1775), printed on the same sheet: (from upper to lower)
- “Men Arguing on Pieces of Ruins by the Pond” (aka “Diskutierende Männer auf Ruinenstücken am Tümpel”); lettered in plate “F. E. Weirotter”; state ii (of ii), Winterberg 186 II (p. 391)
- (left) “Busy Village Street” (aka “Belebte Dorfstraße”); lettered in plate “W”; state ii (of ii from the divided plate); Winterberg 187 II (p. 392)
- (right) “Two Men in Front of the Wooden Hut” (aka “Zwei Männer vor der Holzhütte”); lettered in plate “W”; state ii (of ii from the divided plate); Winterberg 188 II (p. 392)
- “Group of Figures Under a Barrel Vault” (aka “Figurengruppe unter einem Tonnengewölbe”); lettered in plate “F. E. Weirotter fecit” and numbered “4”; state ii (of ii); Winterberg 188 II (p. 378)
- “At the Entrance to the Grotto” (aka “Am Eingang zur Grotte”); lettered in plate “F. E. Weirotter fecit” and numbered “5”; state ii (of ii); Winterberg 178 II (p. 380)
Published in Paris in the Basan & Poignant's (fl.1773–88) 1775 edition, “Œuvre De F. E. Weïrotter, Peintre Allemand, Mort à Vienne en 1771. Contenant près de deux cent Paysages & Ruines, dessinés d'après nature, tant en France qu'en Italie, & gravés à l'eau-forte avec beaucoup de goût, par lui-même” (Work of FE Weirotter, German painter, Death in Vienna in 1771. Containing nearly two hundred Landscapes and Ruins, drawn from nature, both in France and Italy, and engraved with etching with great taste, by himself).
Size: (sheet) 39.3 x 25 cm
Reference: Thilo Winterberg 1998, “Franz Edmund Weirotter (1733–1771) Der Landschaftsradierer Das Graphische Werk”, Heidelberg, Galeria Palatina.
See also the description by the British Museum about the publication in which this sheet features: http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=3348106&partId=1&searchText=weirotter+Basan+&+Poignant&page=1.
Condition: strong and well-printed impressions in near pristine condition for the considerable age of the sheet with full margins as published.
I am selling this museum quality/near pristine sheet of 5 original prints by one of the most famous of the 18th century landscape printmakers for AU$500 (currently US$371.77/EUR343.15/GBP281.89 at the time of posting this listing) including Express Mail (EMS) postage and handling to anywhere in the world, but not (of course) any import duties/taxes imposed by some countries.
If you are interested in purchasing this remarkable and very rare suite of etchings printed on the same sheet, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I will send you a PayPal invoice to make the payment easy.